Plank with Hip Extension
This exercise will strengthen the core, upper body, gluteals and hamstrings. All great full body exercise.
- Start in a plank position
- Ensure body stays in one long line
- Wrists in line with the shoulders
- Gently engage between shoulder blades to stabilise them and draw shoulders away from ears
- Stabilising core by gently lifting lower belly and pelvic floor
- Inhale to prepare. Exhale to extend leg. Inhale to stay. Exhale to lower leg to the floor
- Repeat 5-10 reps on each leg.
- Maintain one long line throughout the movement
- Avoid arching the lower back
- Focus on producing the movement from the glutes
- Maintain gentle contraction of the pelvic floor and lower belly throughout the movement.
If alignment and neutral spine cannot be maintained, perform the exercise from a kneeling position until core strength develops.